Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fall Wreath

Me and my daughter made a great christmas wreath a few years ago. I  got it into my head we need a fall one. Eventually like our christmas decorations for the front porch I want to build up a nice one for fall/halloween.

Inspiration for this wreath comes from here.

I wish I had been able to find some other colors of oraments.  But it's a bit early in the season to find much options.  Being in Canada our thanksgiving comes a fair bit further away from Christmas season! I like it so much this one may end up moving on to the back door and a new one made for the front door :)

Tips
  •  use the plastic ornament balls- they don't break! 
  • if this requires your first hot glue gun purchase- splurge- omg that $5 cheapo one from michaels does not work well.  Trust me it's worth splurging- you'll use it eventually again 
  • try the dollar store for flowers and leaves 
  • try to find a fairly round wreath to start with- guess what harder then you'd think! 
This is a 18' grape vine wreath for the base. You could use a evergreen base or a straw base.  This worked out cheapest for me and green wouldn't work color wise for my goal of a gold tone.

I'll admit- i couldn't find ANY ornaments this early in the year (michaels or walmart) well not in my el cheapo budget requirements.  So these are stolen directly from my christmas tree stash. We'll get some new fun ones for the tree.

I glued the large flowers down first.  Then started layering the ornaments around.  I removed the tops- to make it easier to glue. and often glue them together where touching to help stabilize and keep the spaces between less. 

Fill it up- and around the edges inside and outside. I used more flowers- because that's what i could find (vs lots of ornaments like the inspiration blog post)
Now take your leaves, the small flowers what ever you picked out for filling in the gaps and fill it on in.

Almost finished.

There's still a few gaps to fill in with leaves (need to go by some more).  And it is rounder in person- it' sorta leaning on a funny angle here. Really im super happy with how it turned out.  Different from the original one- but mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...