Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cheesey Cauliflower Cakes & Baked Chicken Tenders

Yes it's time for another confession- I do not like cauliflower. Now I've tried roasting it and that was marginally better...but really I need something drenching it with cheesy goodness to make it even slightly edible.

I will say this was ALMOST as good as mashed potatoes drenched in butter,made with real cream.  And with the sour cream it was not just edible- it was good.

Cheesy Cauliflower Cakes

  • head of cauliflower
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese 
  • salt
  • chili powder or hot sauce to taste
  • 2 eggs (Don't skimp I did and used 1 and they fell apart)
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • oil (olive oil is my preferred)
Boil the cauliflower until soft- about 10-15 minutes. Drain and while still warm mash.  Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix together.

Heat oil in a large sauce pain/skillet. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup scoop out and drop into the oil.  Press flat and let cook until brown- then flip and cook the other side.  Really these are best warm- place into the oven to keep warm while you finish up cooking the rest.
We served them with a dollop of sour cream.

What would I change? I'd use a stronger cheese- shredded marble though delicious didn't add much flavor to this. Really I'd do anything I would with mashed potatoes- next time I think I'll try a parmesan/asiago with roasted garlic.

 

Baked Chicken Tenders

This was an easy recipe and really turned out well.  Baked not fried so much healthier.
  • 2-3chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup bisquick 
  • 1 egg
  • paprika 
  • salt and pepper
  • garlic
Preheat oven to 450F. Slice the breasts length wise so they are even in thickness.  Whisk the egg with a couple tbsp's water and on another plate mix the rest of the ingredients.  Pretty simple dip into egg- roll in the mixture and place on your baking sheet.  You could place on a grate or one of those fancy silicone nubby matts that I'm currently lusting after.

These dipped fabulous into the Aioli I posted the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...