Thursday, January 24, 2013

Steak sauce, Crushed Potatoes and Baked Asparagus fries

Yup tonight was a big one 3 newish ideas. I'm going to list them in the order I made them.


Crushed Potatoes

This is a Pioneer Woman inspired recipe.

  • Potatoes- small red choose same number as you would if you were baking potatoes for the meal.  For us that meant 3-4 medium size potatoes. 
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • Rosemary or some other favorite herb
  • Parmesan cheese (optional)
preheat oven 450F
Get your big pot out and boil the potatoes until they are firm but a fork can go through.  Place them onto a  non stick pan that you've lightly brushed with olive oil.  Don't cheat- don't use spray stuff.  Use the good stuff TRUST ME! Use your potato masher (or anything hard and flat ish) and squash that potato until it's sorta flat.

Brush with olive oil, sprinkle generously with salt (Really no go add some more trust me you'll thank me after), pepper, your rosemary. I tossed some parmesan on because well I love my cheese.
Place in the oven top rack for 20-25minutes.

Baked Asparagus 


  • Asparagus- 1/2 to a whole bunch of it
  • bread crumbs (I used a blend of panko and Italian)
  • seasoning (As I used Italian breadcrumbs this step wasn't necessary!)
  • Parmesan (Optional)
  • 1 egg
This is an easy peasy way to bake asparagus. Tip them so you have just the good parts (I personally use the bend them and they snap at the right spot method).  Mix your egg and a couple tbsp water. Mix your bread crumbs on another plate. Now I don't own grated Parmesan so I sprinkled my shaved Parmesan over top of them at the end.  If you have grated mix it on in with the bread crumbs. Dip in the egg mixture, roll in the bread crumbs place on your non stick pan. (and if your some lucky gal who a rack-use a rack over your pan to get them even crispier). 

Bake at 425 for 10 -15 minutes until crispy brown.  (Note since I had my potatoes in already I lowered the temp on the oven to 425F when I put these in and it took just 10 minutes.

Restaurant 'ish' style steak with sherry sauce

  • Steaks- the thicker the better
  • Soya sauce 
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Spice (I use montreal steak spice personally- but for sure salt and pepper)
  • Butter (Not margarine!)
  • Sherry or Red cooking wine.
  • flour
I've been won over to cooking steaks this style- so easy and if the oven is on gives really nice taste.  My steaks marinated  (while defrosting) in  the Soya Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce and montreal steak spice mixture.  In a cast iron pan (That can be placed in the oven) put a couple tablespoons of butter, a bit of salt and sear the steaks 2minutes on each side.  Spoon the butter back over the steaks and place into the oven at 425F. Leave in the oven for 6-7 minutes (gives me a medium well done steak when about 1" thick).

Remove from the oven and place the steaks aside to rest.  In the pan pour a 1/2 cup sherry/wine, a couple tablespoons flour and heat over low and whisk until thickened. Remove from heat. Spoon sauce over the steak.



Now I must say- I impressed myself with the fact I was able to time all this.  I got the potatoes into the oven.  The steaks had marinated while defrosting.  I prepped the asparagus and had it ready to place into the oven. I put them and the steaks into the oven at the same time.  And that lined up just about right time to remove the potatoes!


This meal turned out great. My kids all had seconds of the potatoes and fought over the last steak.  If there was more asparagus (We only had 1/2 a bunch to use) they would have had more of those too. I was hoping this would be lunch left overs for me tomorrow I thought wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...