Thursday, January 24, 2013

I have a confession.....

I have a confession to make- cooking for me is a huge deal. I spent 10 years in a marriage being told I wasn't a good cook. I was married to a self declared 'foodie' who was a very good baker and a pretty damn good cook.  By far better then me.  I got no encouragement and often was discouraged if I tried to make anything 'new'.  Toss in being a young mom, two kids and a husband who worked night shift- I did not 'cook'.  I mean don't get me wrong-my kids ate, I ate. But it was more snacky.  Often we ate at my parents house, and meals we didn't were often premade, or easy to make- heated up veggies, a chicken breast some pasta etc. At one point I even was buying meals from a 'personal' chef. M&M meat shops was my friend. On the whole I became very good at "preheat oven and insert for x minutes"

I never tried new recipes.  I was afraid to.  It never added good thing to the marriage when I tried and kids never go "well mommy how about a new recipe tomorrow for supper?"

The end of my marriage brought a lot of ups and downs.  I worked long hours between my business and teaching in the evenings.  My parents fed us-a lot. I started to think about cooking more.  Kids lunches became more adventurous. Over the last year I've gotten more brave and worked on supper and new recipes.  Today really I felt like I can look in the pantry and fridge find a few things and make a decent meal.  I don't cook daily.  I try to make a good meal at least 1-2 times a week.  The rest is left overs and back to snacky foods and yeah-my parents still feed us a lot.  I don't know how I'd make it through some weeks with out them helping out like they do. I'm a full time student and work several evenings a week. Cooking is not something we can do every day. But I've gone from a girl who was worried and scared to try to enjoying it a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...