Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sherry Strawberry "Jam" and Brie Grilled Cheese

Well I've been sitting on this recipe for a couple weeks as anyone who follows this blog will know.  Between being away from town camping, and then kids being gone we've been working through left overs and truthfully a fair bit of eating out. 

Kids are home for a week here and it's time to finish off the recipes from the last eating list.  So today I broke out this recipe and here we go:

Original Inspiration recipe here.

Strawberry Jam:
1 cup sherry (or Red wine)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup strawberries sliced
3 tbs Flour (cornstarch would be preferred!)

Put the Sherry (or Red wine), water and sugar into the pot.  Bring to a simmer for several minutes and then add teh sliced strawberries in. Simmer for a couple more minutes.  While this is going on create the slurry to thicken with mix the flour/cornstarch with just enough cold water to dilute it. First off- flour was NOT the plan.  Cornstarch is the original recipe calls for and what I planned for- until I discovered I am OUT of it.  OK really it possibly has never existed in my pantry.  SO a quick Google panic and I put flour in instead.  They say 2-3tb's for each tbs of corn starch.  So i used 6tbs but ended up only putting 1/2 of that in.  So in the end I only used the 3Tbs so that's what I've got in the recipe. Stir in and once it thickens up a bit remove from heat- pour into a container and place in fridge for a couple hours to set.

Of course after all that panic over not having cornstarch and the completion of the above i found gelatin in my pantry.  Color me embarrassed I guess that could have been an option too!

Creates 2cups- approximatly 16 (2 tbs/servings) servings
WW points/serving: 1!





For the sandwhich- fairly simple make just like a grilled cheese. We make our own bread often so this was standard white bread made via our bread maker. Butter the outside of the bread- place a slice of brie cheese on and then some jam- cook until melted and golden brown!


WW Points for 1 Sandwhich with 1 oz brie, 1tbs butter and 2tbs jam: 10

What would I change? The jam tastes good straight from the container- but a bit more sugar could be used. As well i think this would be TO DIE FOR with a big stronger cheese- especially cream cheese!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...